Vegan Lifestyle Population Health Grant: Space Still AvailableFebruary 19th, 2019 | Clinical Connections
Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute (RLMI) has been awarded a grant by Accountable Health Partners to support 40 of their physicians attending a plant-based nutrition course and 200 of their patients going through a 15-Day Whole-Food Plant-Based Jumpstart.
The purpose of the grant is to promote a team-centered approach to preventing, treating, and reversing lifestyle-related chronic diseases. Doctors refer at-risk patients (BMI > 25 and 1 other cardiac risk factor) to a nutritional intervention, to potentially realize significant improvements in weight, glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure – in two weeks.
For AHP Providers: A 12-hour / 12-CME credit course provides an overview of the benefits of a Whole-Food Plant-Based diet (WFPBD). A food tasting and recipes will be provided at every class. In order to fully understand their patients’ experience, doctors are invited to do the Jumpstart as well. Classes are available over three Saturdays at Highland Hospital, starting 3/2, from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm.
Contact RLMI for a discount code at (585) 484-1254 or [email protected].
For Referred Patients:
• To qualify for free tuition, patients must have BMI > 25 and 1 other cardiac risk factor.
• The 15-day WFPB Jumpstart is conducted over three consecutive Saturday mornings with medical support, daily instruction emails and online Facebook coaching available for the duration.
• A cooking class will be offered to half of the Jumpstart participants.
• Jumpstarts are offered roughly once every month. The next two are scheduled for March 2nd and March 30.
• The program begins with an overnight fast on Friday night and staggered arrivals for vital readings and blood testing start at 8:00 am on Saturday.
Performance Metrics and Expected Results:
• Gains in knowledge, dietary pattern, skills and attitudes of both AHP providers and patients.
• Positive change in patient weight, glucose, cholesterol and HTN BP control (AHP metrics)
• Improvement in the percentage of patients with diabetes who have HbA1c <8, < 9; diabetes BP control; HTN BP control (AHP metrics) For more information, or to register: Saturday morning 12-hour Plant-Based Nutrition Course for Providers, starting 3/2, from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm at Highland Hospital https://rochesterlifestylemedicine.com/calendar/#!event/2019/3/2/a-plant-based-diet-eating-for-happiness-and-health 15-Day Jumpstart Program for patients (and optionally providers) starts 3/2, from 8:00 am to 1:30 pm at Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute https://rochesterlifestylemedicine.com/calendar/#!event/2019/3/2/wfpb-15-day-jumpstart Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute - Phone: (585) 484-1254 - email: [email protected] – website: www.roclifemed.com